Friday, February 12, 2010

Pomegranate Guacamole



This recipe is a family favorite. Okay well "recipe" would be a bit strong for the description. We have a free form sort of cooking philosophy in our family. Recipes, instructions, they're all just suggestions. As my grandpa used to say "You call them instructions; I call them destructions." I called my grandma for the pomegranate guacamole "recipe" a few weekends ago to discover that she simply uses store bought guacamole and puts a half a cup of pomegranate seeds, I feel like Martha Stewart or Ina Garten collectively rolled their eyes and sighed at this discovery.

I am, however, a bit more particular about my guacamole. I like to make it myself so it can be just exactly how I want it: avocado, garlic, red onion, a little lime juice, and pomegranate seeds. It's totally delicious and perfect!



The whole process is really simple. To start with I take the seeds out of a pomegranate. Okay, I know I know, not so simple. If you're me this process leaves your kitchen looking a bit like a crime scene. I have friends who are able to remove the seeds of a pomegranate without a speck of red appearing on them, but that's not me. I have to put on my painting shirt for this business.

Since I was brought up in a family without recipes I estimate the half cup of pomegranate seeds to be the seeds from one small pomegranate. Set the seeds aside in a bowl; you'll be adding them at the very end.

Then you can begin the general preparation of the guacamole. This varies in length and involvement. If you're my grandma apparently all it requires is undoing the packaging and moving to another bowl. For me this process requires a bit of slicing, dicing, and mushing.



Since I currently live in San Diego I have plenty of fresh organic avocados from the farmers market to use. As far as these babies go, I like to buy them before they're completely ripe. I set them on the table next to the window until their good, and then transfer them to the fridge until I'm ready to use them.

Mush and smash your avocados, then spritz with some lime juice to prevent browning. At this point you can add all your extras to the guacamole, including the pomegranate seeds. Enjoy!




Ingredients

* 2 avocados
* 1 small red onion, finely chopped
* 1 clove garlic, minced
* 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
* 1 lime, juiced
* salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1. Peel and mash avocados in a medium serving bowl. Stir in onion, garlic, pomegranate seeds, lime juice, salt and pepper. Season with remaining lime juice and salt and pepper to taste. Chill for half an hour to blend flavors.

3 comments:

  1. I am so excited to try this recipe! I may cheat like your grandma and use store bought guacamole. I'm like you too, if I'm handling a pomegranate I'm wearing an old shirt because I get it ALL OVER THE PLACE. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fill a giant bowl (mixing bowl size) with cold water and extract the pomegranate seeds IN the water. Saves tons of mess and works perfectly!

    -Christina
    http://culinspiration.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Christina! I knew there was a way to do it without the murderous scene.

    ReplyDelete